This week Libby will be meeting with many of you to conference with you about your reading and writing. We will discuss your strengths and set some personal goals. When you are called for your conference you will need your draft book, your thinking skills book, your goal book, your reading journal and a just right book. Please have all of these ready so that you can join me quickly when you are called.
While Libby is conferencing everyone else will be working on the independent tasks listed below. During this time you have the opportunity to show the mature study habits expected in 5/6. You should work in silence where possible, ask friends first if you need assistance before asking Libby, and encourage each other to remained focussed.
These tasks should be worked on in the order shown here:
- History pretest-timeline (download this document for instructions and create the timeline in your Topic/Integrated Studies INB History of Australia Timeline pre-post test instructions
- Writing-Create a personal reflection about camp-this can be in any style (e.g. letter, poem, recount, newspaper article, advertisement…) but needs to include rich description of at least one or two aspects of camp. You can draft this into your draft book or directly onto a Word document. When you are finished drafting, you should reread it to make improvements in vocabulary, writer’s craft techniques, sentence structure and detail- add any extra information you think will make it clearer, more informative or more entertaining. Then edit your writing to fix any mistakes in spelling, punctuation, grammar and paragraphing. Then share with a partner and get their feedback for improvements. Once you have made all the improvements you should publish the piece on your blog. There are photos on ‘StudentShare – 5-6 2017 – Camp photos’. You may wish to choose one or two to add to your post.
- HOTMaths – log onto HOTMaths and choose one of the following units to reinforce or extend your learning. Complete the lessons and all the questions. If you need help finding your way to these places ask a year 6 expert:
Yr 4-Exploring numbers to 100 000-Numbers up to 100 000
OR Yr4-EXTENSION: Larger numbers-Tens & hundreds of thousands
OR Yr4-EXTENSION: Larger numbers-introducing millions
OR Yr4-EXTENSION: Larger numbers-Ordering Larger numbers
OR Yr5-About whole numbers-extending Place Value
OR Yr6-Number systems-Base 10 & other bases
4. Continue with your writing piece from our writer’s traits lesson (The piece about an apple). Ensure you remember the theme you have decided to portray as you write.
- Read reflection-read for 20 minutes. Complete a reading reflection in your reading journal. If you’ve had your reading conference, write a reflection describing what you did while you were reading to work towards your goal. Be specific-include quotes to show the parts where you had to think about your goal and say what you were thinking while you were reading.
- Creating personal semester goals –use this template to describe what you want to get better at this year. You can type your goals directly into the template- after you have finished delete all the instructions (in red).(ensure you begin this after recess on Thursday if you haven’t begun it earlier) Goals for Semester 1 template
- Topic research-go to the learning weblinks page of Ant’s blog and choose a link about history. Read or watch it and take notes using the FKEYS notetaking technique into your topic book.